FFA at the Kentucky State Fair
Recently, the Russell County FFA chapter traveled to the state fair and competed in various events and came home with many successes and great stories. Over 50 schools from across the state participated and competed in events that tested student’s knowledge and understanding of topics they have studied and are interested in. Russell County has always been top tier in their placings in the FFA division at the Kentucky State Fair, and had the following results:
- Dairy Judging Team placed 5th overall
- Skyla Lawless was the team high individual and was in the top 20 individuals with almost 150 participants
- Lexia Lawless
- Abigail Roy
- Brannon Lawson
- Floral Team placed 15th overall
- Makaylyn Wade was the team high individual
- Kayleigh Kinnett
- Gabby Alvizo
- Audrey Burton
- Nursery Team placed 21st overall
- Allie Wilson was the team high individual
- Cali Hale
- Juan Noyola
- Dairy Holding
- Patrick Skaggs was selected in the top 12
- Michael Little was selected in the top 12
- Marcus Jones served as alternate
The Russell County FFA chapter has devoted their time to preparing and prepping for their events and competitions, resulting in various successes. The following students have exceeded expectations and were very successful in their endeavors.
- Brannon Lawson is a senior and judged dairy cows in the diary competition. He viewed different cows and judged them based on various characteristics. Brannon also took the dairy test, which included questioning about the dairy industry and dairy cows themselves.
- Skyla Lawless is a junior and showed dairy cattle at the state fair. She participated in the costume contest, where she dressed up a cow in a costume as well as herself, and showed in the competition. She dressed the cow up as Ariel, and dressed up as Flounder to pair with it. Skyla won the costume contest and the Brown Swiss KY Proud Junior Champion and the Red and White KY Junior Champion. She also won the Milking Shorthorn Reserved Junior Champion and the KY Proud Reserve Junior Champion. She has also said that it was the “best year we’ve had.”
- Allie Wilson is a senior and competed in the Nursery and Landscape Competition which was a four part test that was based off of general knowledge, practicum, problem solving, and identification. She was also the team high individual.