For RCHS Sophomores who are planning to apply for the Rogers Scholars program, the deadline is quickly approaching–on January 24th at midnight. In order to be eligible for the program, you must be a current sophomore, have a strong interest in developing skills in leadership, technology, entrepreneurship, and community service, and have a cumulative grade point average of at least 3.0 (on a 4 point scale).
First you should complete the checklist so you can complete the application in one sitting and do not risk losing data due to if you close the application all data will be erased.
The checklist includes:
- Personal Information – name, gender, date of birth, shirt size, email address, two phone numbers, county of residence, address, parent’s names, parent’s email address, school name, county of school, preferred camp date (June 7-12 at Morehead State or June 21-26 at Lindsey Wilson).
- Extracurricular Activities (30 Points) – extracurricular activities are defined as school-related activities that you are part of in addition to your regular classroom work. This includes school sponsored clubs, organizations, associations, programs, and athletic teams. This part is broken down into three categories: Leadership, Technology, & Entrepreneurship. You cannot list more than 10 items in each category.
- Community Service (25 Points) – Community service activities are defined as those activities that involve your time and volunteer efforts for a community-related group or project. This includes time you put into helping civic organizations, doing community-related church activities, working as a volunteer, or contributing to other community-minded activities. If you have a leadership position or role in any of the activities, please describe that position/role. Paid positions of employment are NOT considered community service activities.
- Essay (35 Points) – The Center for Rural Development, KentuckyWired, and various public and private partners expect to complete the statewide broadband project within the next couple of years. This will make it possible for citizens throughout the state of Kentucky to have access to affordable, high-capacity, high-speed broadband. Some areas of Kentucky will even see significant impact in the coming months. Write an essay that answers how having access to quality broadband services will affect your community while focusing on the following topic: Job Creation. How would the KentuckyWired project impact job availability and economic development in your county? Give examples of specific jobs or businesses that would benefit from higher quality broadband services.
- Transcript and GPA (10 Points) – Your official academic transcript including your counselor’s contact information and your unweighted GPA.
- Letters of Recommendation – You need 3 letters of recommendation. Two letters HAVE to come from your school district. One letter HAS to come from a member of the community. The letter writer cannot be someone you are related to. While the letters have no point value, you will be deducted 5 points per missing letter.
- Parental Consent – You must have parental consent in order to fill out the application.
Once you have checked off all of the previous items, go to centeryouthprograms.com/rogers-scholars-application/ to complete the application.