In this video, some of the senior class officers explain the procedures and protocols that have been put in place for this year’s Graduation, which has been impacted by COVID-19. Please watch the video and examine the published information that follows below.
Dear Class of 2020 and Parents/Guardians:
Congratulations on achieving this milestone, and thank you for all the hard work you have put in at Russell County High School. Although we cannot celebrate as we normally would, we want to give you the most authentic graduation experience possible. Students will have the opportunity to walk across the stage (wearing cap and gown), receive his or her diploma, and have a photo taken, all while maintaining the safety of everyone involved. Below you will find the steps and procedures for how RCHS Graduation 2020 will happen.
Graduation will be spread out on three different days, May 20th, 21st, and 22nd, from 12 p.m. until 6 p.m. Due to social distancing restrictions, there will be several guidelines to follow to ensure the safety of all students, families, and faculty/staff. We will be enforcing these stipulations based on what we have been told by the Governor, the CDC, and the state health department.
Prior to Graduation:
1) Use the following link to create an appointment to walk across the stage at RCHS and receive your diploma: https://doodle.com/poll/xad9insiqum5ises . (Appointments are on a first-come, first-served basis, so please schedule in a timely manner.) Appointments need to be made no later than Monday, May 18th, at noon.
2) When making your appointment, please fill in your FULL NAME as you want it read at the graduation ceremony.
3) You may invite up to 4 people to accompany you during your time slot (This number includes children.).
4) Pick up your cap, gown, cords, collars, stoles, and any other purchased materials (must be paid in full) on May 14th, between the hours of 10 a.m. and 1 p.m. (Seniors with last names A-L will pick up between the hours of 10:00-11:30 a.m., and seniors with last names M-Z will pick up between the hours of 11:30 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.)
Day of Graduation (May 20-22, 2020):
1) Arrive 15 minutes before your scheduled appointment time.
2) All cars will come through the middle school entrance (guard shack).
3) Please minimize the number of cars per family (Student and 4 guest limit).
4) A staff member will direct each family where to park and which entrance to use.
5) The graduate and all guests need to wear masks. (The graduate may take the mask off while walking across the stage.)
6) Graduates need to come dressed in cap and gown, including cords/tassels/stoles/etc…
7) A staff member will meet you at the door and direct the graduate and his/her guests to a specific classroom to await your graduation experience.
8) At the appointed time, a staff member will escort the graduate and guests to the gymnasium.
9) The graduate will walk across the stage, pick up his/her diploma, pause for a photo on stage, and will then exit the gymnasium.
10) Each graduate will be filmed walking across the stage, and the school will put together a final graduation production that mimics a traditional graduation ceremony. This video will be shared when finished.
11) Please note that restrooms and other facilities within the building will not be open during this time. Also, if more than the graduate and 4 guests arrive, those extra guests will be required to remain in vehicles.
After Your Graduation Appointment:
1) Each graduate and guests will exit the building immediately following his or her appointment.
2) Per social distancing guidelines, families must leave the parking lot promptly, because other graduates will be arriving for their appointments.
3) Please do not loiter or socialize in the parking lot after your graduation appointment.
4) School resource officers will be directing the exiting traffic.
It is crucial that each graduate who wishes to participate in this ceremony fills out the appointment link (https://doodle.com/poll/xad9insiqum5ises) and arrives 15 minutes prior to that scheduled appointment. With such a short turnaround time for each graduate and the strict guidelines, we may be unable to accommodate late arrivals.
We appreciate your cooperation and understanding during this time. We want make this graduation experience memorable, and we look forward to seeing each of you!